Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- 4 cups clam juice
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups diced carrots
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 pound minced clams
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Cook onions, red pepper, garlic, thyme and basil in butter in large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat until onions and pepper are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat.
- Add clam juice; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed.
- Add 2 cups water. Continue stirring and adding water, 2 cups at a time, allowing each 2 cups to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.
- Add carrots and cook until tender crisp.
- Stir in scallops, clams and peas; cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Fold scallop mixture into rice.
- Stir in cheese, salt and white pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.