Purchased from Bowers Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1994. Dated 1947. This is a very good recipe. I have made it several times and it is a huge hit.
- 3-pounds chuck pot roast
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 5 medium carrots, pared and cut in 2-inch lengths
- 5 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 6 juniper berries
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds sauerkraut
- Trim any fat from Beef.
- In hot oil in 5-quart dutch oven brown Beef turning on all sides about 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions, thyme, water, vinegar, juniper berries and salt to Beef.
- Cook over medium heat covered for 2 hours turning once.
- Wash and drain sauerkraut.
- Add to Beef.
- Cook covered 30 minutes longer stirring occasionally.
- Remove Beef and vegetables to platter.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.