Adapted from a Scandinavian Cooking recipe by Beatrice Ojakangas. Note: the waffles are traditionally served cold with fruit and whipped cream.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Makes 8 waffles or 40 heart-shaped waffles.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, freshly ground is best
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream, light or heavy sour cream will work
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- fresh strawberries sweetened with sugar, lingonberries, or other fresh berries
- whipped cream
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Place eggs and sugar in a food processor bowl.
- Mix for 5 minutes or until egg mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- It will form a ribbon when a spatula is used to check the mixture.
- Add salt and cardamon.
- Add sour cream and melted butter.
- Pulse quickly a couple times. Do not over pulse batter.
- Sprinkle flour over surface. Pulse once or twice quickly. Pulse only to fold in the flour.
- Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the waffle iron. Traditionally a heart-shaped waffle iron is used to make these waffles. Any waffle iron will do.
- Pour about ¾ cup batter into heated waffle iron.
- Bake until steaming stops.
- Serve warm or cool with choice of toppings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.