- 2 eggs
- 1½ tablespoons boiling water
- 3 ounces sugar (scant ½ cup)
- 3 ounces flour (generous ¾ cup sifted flour)
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- First put the ingredients together just the same as for nut cake, and put on a pan with a pastry bag or a spoon.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the salt.
- Set the bowl in a pan of boiling water.
- Beat the eggs with a dover egg beater till light.
- Then add boiling water.
- Beat again till light.
- Then add a little of the sugar, and beat.
- Then add a little more sugar, and beat.
- Continue adding a little sugar and beating till all the sugar is beaten in and the batter is very stiff and light.
- Remove the bowl from the water.
- Beat in the flavoring, then with a flat wire whip, called a "sensible egg whip," fold in the flour and nuts carefully and with as few strokes as possible, not sifting all the flour onto the batter at once, but adding on a little flour and nuts and folding it in with two or three strokes, then adding on a little more flour and nuts, and folding again.
- Continue till all the flour and nuts are folded in, but do not fold any longer than is necessary to mix in the flour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.