Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Ready in: < 30 minutes
- Serves/Makes: 72
- ½ cup shortening
- 1¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- skim milk
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat shortening and 1¼ cups brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
- Add egg and beat 1 minute.
- Add apple juice and beat at low speed until blended.
- In another bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture, beating at low speed until combined.
- Fold in apple and raisins.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet.
- Remove to wire racks and cool.
- Heat margarine, ⅓ cup brown sugar, and water over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sifted powdered sugar.
- If frosting begins to harden, stir in small amount of milk to make of spreading consistency.
- Spread cookies with caramel frosting and sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutritional information Edit
- 63 calories | 2 g total fat | 0 g saturated fat | 32 mg sodium | 11 g carbohydrate | 0 g fiber | 1 g protein | 1% calcium
- Diabetic exchanges: ½ starch | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.