This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Victor Estate in Allen, Texas in 1981.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 2 medium white onions chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 12 ounces chopped ham
- 14 ounce can tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 2 cups water
- Render bacon in a dutch oven until brown but not crisp.
- Stir in onion, pepper and okra then sauté until wilted.
- Add garlic and ham and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, cayenne, rice and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.