- Serves 8
- 5 pounds rump roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion — sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Rub the roast well with salt and pepper.
- Brown it on both sides in the butter.
- Place the onion slices on top of the roast.
- Add the water, sour cream and wine.
- Cover the pan and cook slowly either on top of the stove or in the oven for 3 hours or until tender, adding a little more wine if necessary.
- Place the roast on a hot platter while you blend the flour into the liquid in the pan to make the gravy.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.