Old-fashioned flavor and worth the wait!
- 1 lb pea or navy beans
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 onions, chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle juice
- ¼ lb salt pork
- Wash and clean the beans.
- Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Add 2 cups water, mustard, pepper, salt, onions, brown sugar, molasses, pickle juice.
- Boil, covered, for about 1½ hours. (Beans should be wrinkled.)
- Heat oven to 250 °F.
- Cut salt pork into ½” cubes.
- Place in 2-quart bean pot.
- Cover with hot beans and their liquid.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake 8 hrs. covered, until very tender.
- When beans are baking for 6 hrs. add about ¾ cup water or just enough to cover.
- Uncover the pot the last ½ hour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.