This is a very old recipe for cracker stuffing which is very good indeed. It's goodness comes from onions and shallots and mushrooms and garlic and herbs.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: With Love from Darling's Kitchen
- 9 cups crushed soda crackers (about 12 oz)
- 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 shallots, minced
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning or more to taste
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3 cans (10½ oz each) chicken broth (use only as much as needed to hold stuffing together)
- In a large bowl, place crackers and melted butter and toss crackers until they are evenly coated.
- In a skillet, saute together the next 7 ingredients until vegetables are soft.
- Add seasonings and parsley and cook and stir for another few minutes.
- Place vegetables in bowl with the crackers and toss and turn until blended.
- Now, add the eggs and broth until the stuffing holds together.
- Stuffing should not get mushy or stay too dry.
- Makes enough stuffing for a 15 pound turkey.
- Note: this stuffing can be backed separately in a buttered porcelain baker, in a 350°F oven for about 40 – 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.