Many families have an old-fashioned bean soup recipe that's been handed down for generations. This one has been lightened up in fat and sodium delicious served with black bean cornbread.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: www.cinnamonhearts.com
- Source: Magic Beans, 1996 by Patti Bazel Geil.
- Makes 6 Servings
- nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 (15½ oz) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz) can no-added-salt whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (4-oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp basil
- 3 sliced green onions
- Coat a saucepan with cooking spray.
- Place over medium-highheat until ht.
- Add bell peppers; sauté 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add 1 can pinto beans and mash.
- Add remaining beans and next 6 ingredients; stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with green onions.
Nutritional information Edit
Per (1 cup) serving:
- 233 Calories | 1g Total Fat (<1g Sat Fat) | 43g Carbs | 12g Dietary Fiber | 0mg Cholesterol | 181mg Sodium | 13g Protein
- Exchanges: 3 starches | 1 very lean meat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.