- 1 cake compressed yeast
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 ounces sassafras root
- 1 ounce hops or ginger root
- 2 ounces juniper berries
- 4 gallons water
- 1 ounce dandelion root
- 2 ounces wintergreen
- Wash roots well in cold water.
- Add juniper berries (crushed) and hops.
- Pour 8 quarts boiling water over root mixture and boil slowly 20 minutes.
- Strain through flannel bag.
- Add sugar and remaining 8 quarts water.
- Allow to stand until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in a little cool water.
- Add to root liquid.
- Stir will.
- Let settle then strain again and bottle.
- Cork tightly.
- Keep in a warm room 5 to 6 hours, then store in a cool place.
- Put on ice as required for use.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.