- ½ pkg. granulated yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅔ cup lukewarm milk
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- Soak yeast and teaspoon of sugar in milk.
- With fingers blend flour, butter, sugar, salt and lemon rind.
- When yeast is softened, and the mixture bubbles, work it into the dough, knead well.
- Then divide into 2 bowls, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Roll dough out to ¼ inch thick.
- Spread with filling and roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place in greased pan.
- Brush well with beaten egg.
- Prick all over with needle to avoid blistering.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Filling: combine poppy seeds, sugar, lemon rind, raisins and milk in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook until thick enough to spread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.