- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 med onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cup veal stock or low-sodium beef broth
- ⅛ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 12 oz dark beer
- ½ lbs sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a 3-quart heavy pot, preferably cast iron or copper, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook until the onions turn a deep golden color, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your pot.
- Stir frequently.
- Add the broth and the nutmeg, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring the beer to a boil over medium heat and boil until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender.
- Add 1 cup of the onion soup and blend until smooth. Reserve.
- Remove the onion mixture from the heat and strain. Reserve the liquid.
- Transfer the onions to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Return the purée to the pot, add the reserved liquid and the cheddar cheese mixture.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot in a tureen.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.