This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Butler Estate in Irving, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2½ cups cake flour sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons hot coffee
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- Cream shortening with the sugar then mix and sift flour, baking powder and salt and add these alternately to the first mixture with the water and extract.
- Fold in beaten egg yolks.
- Bake in greased and floured sheet pan for 35 minutes at 350°F.
- When cake is cool cut in half and put together with frosting.
- For frosting combine cocoa and coffee then add butter and vanilla.
- Add sugar gradually until correct consistency.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.