Makes 16 servings.
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Heat to the hard-crack stage  without stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add hazelnuts, almond extract and baking soda; stir briskly.
- Pour into a buttered 17 x 11 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Let cool before breaking into pieces.
- ↑ 'Hard-crack' is a test for candy at which point a drop of the syrup immersed in cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. On a candy thermometer, the hard-crack stage is between 300°F and 310°F.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.