Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: 1,001 Recipes For People With Diabetes by Sue Spitler
- 8 servings (about ⅔ cups each)
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup millet
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 – 3 tsp finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dark sesame, or vegetable oil
- 2½ cups oriental broth
- 1½ cups halved snow peas
- ½ can (6-oz size) sliced water chestnuts, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions and tops
- 2 – 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute rice, millet, onion, celery, gingerroot, and garlic in sesame oil in large saucepan until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Stir snow peas, water chestnuts, and green onion into grain mixture; simmer, covered, until grains and snow peas are tender and broth absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional information Edit
- 137 Calories | 4.1g Protein | 194 mg Sodium | 0 mg Cholesterol | 2.7g Fat | 24g Carbs
- Exchanges: ½ vegetable | 1⅕ bread
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.