- 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 3 tablespoons of Raw rice, rinsed, cooked until very soft, drained, & mashed
- 1 tablespoons of salt
- 1/4 tablespoons of pepper
- 1/4 tablespoons of Ground cumin seed
- 10 MD Pitted prunes, cut lengthwise into halves
- 2 tablespoons of corn oil
- The Afghan has a stuffing sweetened with prunes & cooked slowly - quite different from the others. The Afghans believe that onions are effective for strengthening the teeth.
- Make a 1/2-inch deep incision into side of each Onion. Bring water & salt to a boil over moderate heat & drop in onions. Cook for 2 mins, turning them w/slotted spoon during that time. Remove onions & peel off each layer until you reach center. Set aside Onion layers & centers.
- Put Beef into a bowl with rice, salt, pepper, & cumin seed and mix well. Take 1 heaping ts Beef mixture & half of 1 prune. Stuff 1 cooked Onion layer & roll it up. Do this w/all stuffing & Onion layers.
- oil a skillet & lay stuffed onions & centers in it, cover, and cook over very low heat for 2 hours. The onions will become quite dark but not, of course, burned. This is top-of-the-stove cooking. Another method is to put stuffed onions into a baking dish, cover tightly, & bake in preheated, 250 degrees Fahrenheit. oven for 2 hrs. Serve warm. Serves 6 with other dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.