This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 3 pounds lean pork cubed
- 1 lemon
- 3 onions sliced
- 3 garlic cloves divided
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can beer
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Put pork into a large plastic bag or container.
- Wash lemon shred peel and squeeze juice then set aside.
- Add onions, 2 garlic cloves, ¼ cup cilantro, cumin seed and bay leaf to pork.
- Pour beer and lemon juice over all.
- Seal bag or cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Combine remaining garlic, cilantro and lemon peel.
- Refrigerate then remove pork from marinade reserving marinade.
- Mix flour, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper then roll pork cubes in mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet then add pork cubes and cook until browned.
- Lift onions out of marinade and add to meat.
- Cook stirring occasionally until onions are lightly browned.
- Add reserved marinade, vinegar, broth and brown sugar then simmer for 1¼ hours.
- To serve sprinkle stew with reserved cilantro and garlic mixture.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.