- ⅓ cup uncooked white beans
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 3 pounds of beef oxtails
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 cups of water (about)
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- few shots of hot sauce
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight OR place beans in a small saucepan with 1 cup of water and cover. Bring to a boil and turn of heat. Allow to sit for 1 hour covered with the heat off.
- In a heavy skillet brown the oxtails in lard. Place them in a large (about 6 quart) stove top casserole or stock pot. Add all the remaining ingredients except the water and beans. Then, add just enough water to cover the contents of the pot, this should be about 2 cups more or less.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours. Drain the beans and add to the stock pot. Continue cooking covered for an additional 1½ hours. Stir occasionally and add additional water if necessary, you do not want the pot to dry out. If you like a thick stew, remove the lid during the last half hour of cooking.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.