- 1 oxtail about 2 - 2½ lbs cut up
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 rashers (slices) bacon ( sugar cured, rindless )
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 4 carrots pared and sliced
- 1 cup peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint (16 fl. oz) hot water
- 2 stalks green onions finely sliced
- 1 spring thyme
- 1 can butter beans ( lima beans )
- Trim away excess fat and place oxtail in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes to blanch.
- Drain well on absorbent paper and coat with cornflour.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown oxtail on both sides removing when brown.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Dice bacon and fry for a few minutes.
- Return oxtail to pot with bacon, add carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes and hot water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3½ to 4 hours or until oxtail is almost tender.
- At this stage add more liquid if necessary and season.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the butter beans and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.