Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living Holiday Dinners 1982
- 8 servings
- 1 (1-pound) loaf French bread
- ¼ pound chicken gizzards
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ pound ground lean beef
- ¼ pound ground pork
- ¼ pound chicken livers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant-blending flour (like Wondra)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (or more) dashes hot sauce
- 2½ pints oysters, undrained
- Cut bread in half lengthwise and place cut side up on a baking sheet; bake 350°F for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Tear bread into about 1-inch pieces.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Place gizzards and 3 cups water in a saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove gizzards, reserving 1½ cups broth.
- Finely chop gizzards, set aside.
- Saute vegetables, parsley, and garlic in butter in a large skillet.
- Add gizzards, ground beef, pork, and livers; cook over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, stirring to crumble meat.
- Add reserved broth, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes or until broth has been reduced to about ½ cup.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture over bread.
- Cut oysters in half, add oysters and oyster liquid to bread mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Spoon into a well-greased 3-quart casserole.
- Bake at 350°F or until thoroughly heated.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.