Who says rice and vegetables are expensive for great cooking? This glorious rice dish is made and mixed with real chicken, shrimp, and herbs, baked to red-hot perfection, and served with other dishes, as it keeps a soothing aroma with the rice, vegetables, and herbs. Yellow rice and tomato sauce work for this casserole too.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts, boned and halved
- 1 ½ cup chopped onion, red or white only
- 1 10-ounce package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups tomato juice or (1 cup tomato sauce)
- 1 pound peeled deveined raw shrimp
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat garlic with oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown; push to one side.
- Cook onion in pan until tender. Stir or blend in peas, oregano, salt, pepper and tomato juice or tomato sauce); simmer, covered 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes longer. Spoon rice around edges of 6 individual casseroles; fill centers with chicken mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 150 °C. Serve hot and plain or over white rice.
Nutritional Information Edit
Servings: 6 bowls