- Ethnicity - Punjabi, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 600 grams (about 24 oz.) tender spinach washed
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 cup(s) paneer cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tomatoes thinly diced or half cu tomato puree
- Blanch the spinach in lots of boiling salted water for about 3 minutes.
- Refresh in chilled water.
- Squeeze out excess water gently and blend to a fine paste with the green chillies.
- Deep fry the cottage cheese cubes in moderately hot oil till light golden in color.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Note : if you do not want to deep fry the cheese cubes then you can just add them as it is when the dish is almost ready.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the garlic and ginger.
- Fry briefly till the raw smell goes away.
- Add garam masala
- Add the chopped spinach puree, salt and mix well.
- Add tomato puree or diced tomatoes and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add water if required to get a gravy of desired consistency and bring to a boil.
- Add the deep fried cottage cheese cubes and stir to mix gently.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Put off the heat and mix in the cream.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and cream.
- Best eaten with roti or naan.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.