- ¼ pound (½ cup) butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 pound ripe bananas (2 or 3 large)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Soften the butter at room temperature and cream it with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Mash the bananas and add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, and egg.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and fold it into the liquid mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased (9 by 5-inch) loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated moderate (350°F) oven for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Serve with honey as a cake bread, or as a pudding with cream or ice cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.