Pastry dough Edit
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb lean beef, coarsely ground
- 1 lb lean pork, coarsely ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1½ cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup green pimento salad , chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
Pastry dough Edit
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in shortening.
- In another bowl, combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks; mix well.
- Add the liquid to the dry mixture.
- Mix with your hands and form into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix beef, pork, salt, pepper, and cayenne together.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the meat well in batches and set aside.
- Sauté onions, bell peppers, chiles, and garlic until soft.
- Return meat and any juices to the pan.
- Add tomatoes, raisins, vinegar, thyme, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Simmer until meat is very tender, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg and water together.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut in half; return half to the refrigerator.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out thin.
- Cut 6" circles  (a 2½ lb coffee can works fine).
- Add a generous portion of filling to the center of each circle.
- Fold the dough in half over the filling and crimp edges well with a fork.
- Pierce the tops of the pastries with a fork and brush tops with the egg/water mixture.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat for other half of the dough (note: the scraps from the other batch may be rolled in with the second half).
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.