- 1 x 3 – 3½ pound chicken
- 2 lb yucca root, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb yam peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (if available)
- 2 large plantain peeled and cut into 1 inch slices (not too ripe)
- 1 bunch green onions coarsely chopped (white part only)
- 3 carrots scrubbed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ears corn cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup gringo cilantro leaves and stems, chopped or if Panamanian cilantro (leaf resembling dandelion) is used — 1 leaf
- water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients except salt, pepper, and corn in a large soup or stock pot.
- Add enough water or chicken broth to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, discard skin, and peel meat from the bones.
- Break the meat into fairly large pieces and return to the pot.
- Add corn, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes longer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.