Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- 4 large onions, peeled
- ½ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- Place onions in medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Cut in half and place in a large shallow skillet. Mix bread crumbs, salt, thyme, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture on top of each onion half.
- Drizzle oil over crumb mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Cover bottom of skillet with 1 inch of water. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes, occasionally spooning pan liquid over onions. Add additional water if liquid evaporates.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.