Prep Time: 10
Cook time: 25
A beautiful simple dessert absolutely perfect for a dinner party. Use that bottle of wine that's been collecting dust in the back of your cupboard (you know the one) - it will work great in this classic dish!
- 4 pears (peeled, halved and cored)
- 1 bottle of wine (which ever kind you like)
- ½ - ¾ cup sugar
- aromatics - vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, thyme, orange, juniper, etc. - use what you like and be creative!
- fresh whipped cream or ice cream
- Place wine, aromatics, ½ cup of sugar and pears into a pot.
- Bring up to a simmer for 10-20 minutes depending on size of the pears.
- When a fork slips into pears easily remove from heat and allow to cool in liquid.
- Once tepid - place the pears in to the fridge, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Continue cooking the liquid until reduced by half and forms a syrup.
- Taste the syrup - if its tart add a bit more sugar.
- Allow the syrup to cool once desired consistency is achieved.
- Strain out aromatics.
- Server syrup drizzled over pears with a scoop of gelato or whip cream!.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.