- 1½ pounds chopped onion
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound and 4 ounces pancetta, sliced ¼-inch thick, cut in 1-inch, thin strips
- 3 quarts canned Italian tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
- 4 small, dried hot red pepper, chopped finely
- salt, as needed
- 6 pounds penne or other short pasta
- 8 oz grated Parmesan
- 4 oz grated Pecorino romano
- 14 California avocados
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Sauté onion in butter and oil until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pancetta strips; sauté until cooked but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and juice, hot pepper, and ½ tablespoon salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, until liquid reduces and fats pool on surface, about 35 minutes.
- Add more salt to taste, if necessary; reserve.
- Mix Parmesan and Romano; reserve.
- Just before service, slice two avocados for garnish; mix with lemon juice.
Per order Edit
- Cook 4 ounces pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender, about 8 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile mix ¾ cup sauce and ½ avocado, diced, in a sauté pan; heat through.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, stir it into the sauce; remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Mound on a serving plate.
- Garnish with 2 slices avocado.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.