- 5 red or yellow bell peppers diced
- 2 fennel bulbs, cored and diced (reserve minced tops for garnish)
- 1⅓ cup diced canned tomatoes drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil or 1½ tbsp dried basil
- 1 cooking spray
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans (1½ x 15 oz cans), rinsed and drained
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1½ lbs rotelli or radiatori, cooked (I assume this is pasta)
- ½ cup grated fat-free Parmesan, Sonoma hard jack cheese or soy Parmesan
- 1 each salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Mix peppers, fennel bulb and some of the tops, tomatoes and basil in a bowl; spread vegetables evenly over large baking pan.
- Generously spray, broil until vegetables soften and blacken slightly, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Combine beans, crushed red pepper and lemon juice or vinegar in a large serving bowl.
- In a small pan, toast the fennel seeds until they darken a few shades; add to the bean mixture.
- Add boiled vegetables, hot pasta and cheese to bean mixture; toss well.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with reserved minced fennel leaves.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.