- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta, sliced ¼-inch thick, cut in thin, 1-inch strips
- 3 cups canned Italian tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
- 1 small, dried hot red pepper chopped finely or to taste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pound penne or other short pasta
- 2 California avocados
- 2 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz freshly grated Romano Pecorino cheese
- Sauté onion in butter and oil until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pancetta strips; sauté until cooked but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and juice, hot pepper, and salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, until liquid reduces and fats pool on surface, about 25 minutes.
- Add more salt to taste, if necessary.
- When sauce is almost done, cook pasta in salted, boiling water according to package directions; drain well.
- While pasta cooks, cut avocados into small dice.
- Toss pasta with sauce, then with avocado and cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.