Fried pastries with meat filling
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons shortening, melted to lukewarm
- 1/2 cup milk, mixed with
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella Cheese, chopped
- 8 green olives, chopped
- oil (for deep frying)
- To prepare the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the melted shortening and warm milk and water.
- Mix to a smooth dough and cut into 2 pieces.
- To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the Onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the tomatoes, ground Beef and salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until almost dry.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the chopped parsley, egg, Cheese and and mix well.
- To assemble pastries, roll out the pastry on a floured board to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut 12, 4 inch circles from each piece, 24 circles.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling on each circle and moisten around the edge with warm water.
- Fold over and seal the edges well.
- Deep fry in preheated 375f degree oil for 4 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- The pastries are also delicious cold and make good picnic fare.
- They may also be made without the ground Beef.
- Variation to replace ground Beef, use finely chopped Ham, chopped Chicken, or Shrimp.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.