Sweet plantain baked with every thing, but the kitchen sink.
- ½ to 1 once of cooking ham or ham steak. ( washed and diced )
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of sofrito
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 to 3 hard boiled eggs (chilled and chopped )
- 6 to 8 Spanish olives (chopped coarsely)
- 1 teaspoon of capers
- 1 teaspoon of ground oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon of white vinegar
- 1 x 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- ½ pound of fresh green string beans (trimmed and washed in cold water )
- 4 to 6 large ripe plantains peeled and sliced length wise (about ¼ in thick, place sliced plantains in a bowl of cold water large enough to hold all the plantains)
- vegetable oil or shortening for frying.
- 6 extra large eggs
- In a large hot frying pan or caldero add one tablespoon of olive oil and brown the diced cooking ham.
- Add sofrito and reduce heat.
- Let simmer for about 5 to seven minutes.
- Add ground beef and raise heat enough to brown meat without burning the other ingredients in the pot.
- Once the ground beef done make sure to skim off all the fat before adding the following ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients from step.
- 3 add salt and pepper to taste allow to simmer covered for at least 15 minutes.
- Once it is done remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring 3 - 4 cups of cold water with ½ of teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- Add string beans and allow to blanch for 3 to 5 minutes, remove and drain.
- Place under cold running water drain and set aside.
- Place enough vegetable oil or shortening in a frying pan or caldero to deep fry the plantain slices.
- Place plantains in the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, make sure not to over cook them.
- When they are done remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat this process until you have fried all the plantain slices.
- Once done set aside.
- Place eggs in a bowl add about ¼ teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of cold water, and beat until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Grease or oil a large baking dish or large cast iron frying pan.
- Add ½ of the egg mixture.
- Place slices of plantains in the bottom of the pan or dish in order to create the bottom layer.
- Add enough of the meat mixture to cover the plantains.
- Add enough string beans to cover the meat mixture.
- Add another layer of plantains.
- Add about ½ of the remaining egg mixture.
- Continue this process until you have used all the ingredients (just remember to make sure that your final layer must be made up of plantains).
- Add the last of the egg mixture making sure that it covers the whole top of the dish or pan, if you feel that you need more beat another 2 eggs and pour the mixture over the top of the final layer.
- Pre heat your oven at 350 °F.
- Place mixture in the oven and bake from 3o to 45 minutes.
- At the end of the cooking time place a knife in the center if it comes out with no egg residue your pastelon is done remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve as you would a portion of pie or lasagna.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.