- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter or margarine, diced
- ½ cup cold water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced finely
- 1 beet, peeled
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 small piece of pumpkin or squash
- 1 pound premium grade ground meat (beef, pork or chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Sift both flours together.
- Add salt and cut in diced butter or margarine.
- Blend with fingertips until consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cold water gradually, mixing in with your hand, until you have a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured board gently, and cut into smaller portions for rolling.
- Grate potatoes, beet, turnip, carrots and pumpkin, and mix well together in a very large bowl with the chopped onion.
- Add minced meat, season with salt and pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg-mix well with your hands until all ingredients are well combined.
- Roll out one piece of the pastry to a fairly thin sheet.
- Using a large cutter, or an upturned saucer, make the pastry shapes.
- Peel away the pieces and put aside for use later.
- Place about a tablespoon or so of the filling onto each circle, brush the edges of the pastry with a little milk, and bring one half over onto the other edge.
- Press together either with a fork, or make a fancy edge with your fingers, and place onto a greased oven tray.
- Continue until all the pastry and filling is used up.
- Glaze the top of each pasty with a little beaten egg and water.
- Bake at 350 °F for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Serve either hot or cold, with or without a wonderfully fruity sauce as an accompaniment.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.