From Southern Living Holiday Meals 1982
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6 medium pears
- 2 cups red wine
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 lemon slices
- 3 orange slices
- orange rind strips (optional)
- Peel pears, removing core from bottom and leaving stems intact.
- Slice about ¼ inch from base of each pear so they will sit flat.
- Combine next 6 ingredients in a dutch oven over medium heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place pears in Dutch oven in upright position; cover and continue to cook 40 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Remove from heat; allow to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- To serve, spoon pears and syrup into serving dishes; garnish with a strip of orange rind, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.