- 1and ½ cups dried black-eyed peas
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ cup palm oil or salad oil
- ½ cup finely minced Onion
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup raw Shrimp, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup Ham, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup fresh tomato sauce, or canned tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped hot red pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 2 and ½ tbsp Shrimp powder
Place the peas in a mixing bowl and add cold water to reach one inch over the top of peas. Let stand overnight. Drain the Peas and add more cold water to cover. Add salt and pepper and simmer until the Peas are tender, 45 minutes to an hour. They should be moist but not too liquid.
Add the sauce to the Peas. Serve hot.