- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried dill
- salt, pepper
- Pelmeni/Vareniki dough
- White of 1 small egg, beaten
- water, chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- Mix ground beef, onion, dill, salt and pepper to taste, and enough water or broth (about 1 cup) to make a soft mixture.
- Roll out Pelmeni/Vareniki dough, 3 or 4 at a time, to 3-inch circles.
- Place 1-tablespoon filling on each dough round.
- Brush edges with water. Fold to form half moons, pinch opposite ends to one another to seal.
- Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
- Brush pelmeni with beaten egg white.
- Bring large pot full of salted water to a boil.
- Without crowding, drop pelmeni into boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking, until the pelmeni come to the surface, about 4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Melt butter over medium heat and drizzle over pelmeni. Or serve pelmeni with sour cream.
Makes 100 pelmeni.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.