- 1 lb. dry penne pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- ¼ cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 small zucchini (1 lb), very thinly sliced
- 8 oz small pattypan squash, quartered (2 cups)
- 1½ tsp finely grated lemon peel
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup finely shredded fresh basil
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden at edges, about 6 minutes.
- Drain penne, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Stir lemon peel, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water into Squash mixture.
- Transfer penne to large serving bowl. Add Squash mixture, basil and chives and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.