Serves six as a meal or 12 as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup cooked yellow split peas
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 (16 ounces) jar grape leaves
- 1 cup water
- In a skillet, heat oil and sauté onion and mushrooms until soft.
- Add parsley and spices.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in split peas and rice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 3-quart baking dish with a few grape leaves to keep stuffed leaves from sticking and burning.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of rice mixture (depending on size of leaf) in the center of a grape leaf.
- Fold in sides, then roll leaf from stem to tip.
- Place in casserole.
- Repeat procedure with remaining grape leaves until rice mixture is used up.
- Pour water in bottom of dish (to prevent sticking and drying out).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.