This great pesto-based American side dish is great with sharing and snacking and delivers a divine, nutty aroma that it delivers to the bread and the dip.
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 California avocados
- 1 loaf French bread
- 7 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cups olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Prepare the pesto. Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with foil.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 ½ cup cream cheese mixture into bottom of loaf pan; spread evenly.
- Spread pesto over cream cheese layer. Spoon another 1 cup cream cheese mixture over pesto, spreading evenly.
- Halve, seed and peel avocados. Just cut each half into 8 slices but do not pull apart.
- Lay sliced avocado halves on cream cheese layer and top with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Thirty minutes before serving, lift the torta from the loaf pan and remove foil.
- Serve with large slices of French bread.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve as a dip or spread for the torta.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.