- 4 cups (about 7 oz) carrots, finely julienned
- ¾ cup (about 6 oz) baked or pressed bean curd slivers
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, squeezed dry and slivered
- 4 scallions, including green and white parts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp cornstarch plus 2 tbs. corn-starch mixed with water
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 egg roll wrappers (7x7-inch square) or bean curd skins
- Arrange carrots, bean curd slivers, slivered mushrooms, scallions and fresh coriander in separate piles on work surface.
- Combine soy sauce, rice wine, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and sesame oil in small bowl, and mix well.
- Set aside.
- Heat wok or large skillet, and add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add ginger and minced garlic, and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add bean curd, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Stir seasoning mixture, and add to wok.
- Add scallions and fresh coriander leaves, and toss well.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix cornstarch with enough water to make thin paste.
- Place egg roll wrapper on work surface positioned with one corner pointing toward you.
- Place ¼ cup carrot filling at nearest corner, and roll tightly about 3 turns.
- Tuck in right and left corners over filling, and continue rolling toward far corner.
- Spread cornstarch paste lightly on far corner, seal packets closed and set aside.
- Repeat until all wrappers and filling are used.
- Just before serving time, heat oil for deep-frying to 375°F.
- Carefully place egg rolls, 2 or 3 at a time, in hot oil.
- Fry, turning once, until golden.
- Remove from oil with slotted spoon or tongs, and drain on paper towels.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.