- 1 cup dried pigeon peas
- sprig fresh, thyme
- 4 cups fresh water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 medium onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- Soak pigeon peas overnight in water.
- Drain them well and place peas in a heavy kettle.
- Add water, garlic, onion, thyme, butter, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about one-half hour.
- Add this to rice (if fresh peas are used, add one-half pound of them to the kettle when you add the rice).
- There should be about two and one-half cups liquid with the peas and rice.
- Simmer the combined ingredients for about twenty minutes, until rice is fluffy and the water is absorbed.
- This dish may be served either hot or cold.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.