Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 20 pigs-in-blankets.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- ¼ cup chilled vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 10 frankfurters, ends trimmed and frankfurters halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat germ.
- Blend in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk or yogurt and yolk and stir into flour mixture, stirring until mixture just forms a moist dough.
- Knead dough 4 times on a floured surface and with a floured rolling pin roll out into a 12-inch square.
- Cut dough into 1½-inch-wide strips and roll a strip around middle of a frankfurter until dough just overlaps.
- Cut Pig-in-Blanket free from strip and make 19 more Pigs-in-Blankets in same manner, arranging them, seam sides down, as they are made on prepared baking sheet. (Pigs-in-Blankets may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.)
- Bake Pigs-in-Blankets in upper third of oven until pale golden, about 15 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.