Rice pilaf with shrimp
- Serves 6 – 10
- 1½ pounds shrimps
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1½ cups oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ pounds tomatoes, peeled, strained or 1 tablespoon tomato paste diluted with 1 cup water
- 2½ cups raw rice
- Wash the shrimps and put into pot.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add salt and whole onion and celery, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the shrimps with slotted spoon and keep the liquid.
- Shell and devein the shrimp.
- Heat the oil in pot.
- Saute chopped onions until light golden.
- Add shrimps, turning 2 or 3 times.
- Add tomatoes (or tomato paste).
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- More, then remove shrimps.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Measure liquid in which shrimp were boiled, allowing 2½ cups.
- For each cup of rice.
- Add liquid to the pot with the tomato sauce.
- Bring to the boil and add the rice.
- Stir for the first few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Cook about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Until the rice is tender but has not absorbed all of the liquid.
- Add ⅔ of the shrimps.
- Mix well.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Cover with a clean towel and cover the towel with the lid.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- , until all liquid is absorbed.
- Mold rice into a pyramid shape.
- Garnish with remaining shrimp.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.