- 1 small unripe pawpaw
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 head Chinese cabbage
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 750 g (1½ lbs) fish
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil (or margarine or butter)
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour
- 1 cup pineapple pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped or crushed
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Peel the pawpaw, remove seeds and cut lengthwise.
- Wash cabbage, separate stalk from the leaves and chop lengthwise.
- Using a spoon or shell, scrape the fish flesh away from the bones and skin.
- Form into small balls.
- Heat the oil and gently fry the balls until cooked.
- Remove from the pan.
- Fry the pineapple and pawpaw slices.
- Add the onion, ginger, cabbage stalks and leaves.
- Fry until just under-cooked.
- Mix together the sugar, soy sauce, water and cornflour.
- Add to the vegetables and stir continuously until it boils.
- Add balls and stir.
- Serve hot with cooked taro, breadfruit or rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.