Inducing a stone-cold aroma into a golden, sweet combination real fruit juice, lemon rind, and milk, this tropical sherbet is great with other desserts or fruits and keeps a great, glorious taste with the fruit. Lime rind, lime juice, and canned pineapples sometimes work for this, too.
- 1 ¼ cup fruit juice, with 1 cup pineapple juice and ¼ lime or lemon juice separated
- 1 can pineapple chunks, now including syrup if desired
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar, white only
- 2 teaspoons grated lime or lemon rind
- 4 cups regular or low-fat milk
- Combine, in a bowl, the pineapple juice, sugar, lime or lemon juice, lemon rind, milk, and pineapple syrup from the can (optional).
- Pour on and empty the ice-cube tray. Place a tray in a freezer, and freeze until slushy.
- Pour slush into a bowl and beat until softened.
- Return the sherbet to the ice-cube tray, and freeze until it is of serving consistency. Serve cold and plain over any fruit, or with other desserts.
Servings: 3 scoops per glass or cup
- Pineapple Juice, Canned, Unsweetened by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe