This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- ½ cup sliced white onion
- ½ cup sliced red, green and yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced raw mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppercorns
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a pie pan with nonstick spray then preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cornmeal in a small bowl.
- Add cold water and stir until well mixed.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into saucepan with boiling water then cook stirring over low heat until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and Parmesan.
- Spread cornmeal mixture to form a crust in the greased pan using wet hands or a spatula.
- Spread evenly across bottom and up sides.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lower temperature to 350°F.
- In sauté pan heat oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté garlic, onion, peppers and mushrooms 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in black olives, basil, oregano, salt, black pepper and red peppercorns.
- Spread vegetables onto crust then sprinkle mozzarella evenly on top and arrange tomato slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle generously with Parmesan and bake 20 minutes at 350°F.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.