- 1 lb strudel or fillo pastry sheets
- ½ lb sweet butter, melted
- ½ lb walnuts, coarsely ground
- ¼ lb blanched almonds coarsely ground
- ¼ lb sesame seeds (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 1 piece orange peel
- 1 piece lemon peel
- ½ cup liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare mixture for filling.
- butter lightly an 11 inch x 16 inch baking pan, which has some depth.
- The pastry sheets are usually about this size.
- Place 6 sheets, sprinkling each with melted butter, in the bottom of pan.
- Set aside 6 sheets for the top.
- Proceed to pile remaining sheets, each sprinkled with butter, in pan, alternating with nut mixture.
- Place last 6 sheets on top, sprinkling with butter only.
- Bake for about one hour or until lightly browned.
- To complete baklava: when baked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly; cut in diamond-shaped pieces and pour syrup over all while both are at a warm temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.