- 2½ cups dried beans
- ½ cup oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano (or marjoram)
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and diced (or 1 large can whole tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak beans overnight.
- Heat the oil a in heavy casserole and add the garlic, onion, and herbs, and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until well-blended.
- Add beans and water to cover beans.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, add salt, and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.