- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 Green plantains, peeled, quartered lengthwise & thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook, uncovered, for 3–4 minutes, or until onions are soft but not brown.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock/broth and bring to boil over high heat.
- Add plantains, most of the cilantro (reserve a few tablespoons for garnish), cumin, and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 40–50 minutes or until plantains very tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Transfer half the soup to blender; puree until smooth.
- Return to the pan.
- If soup is too thick, add a little more stock/broth.
- Season with more salt/cumin if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.